Publications and Presentations
The following are publications and presentations of work done at MAHSA by academic staff, since 2006
Faculty of Nursing
- Hayes DA. A selective narrative literature review and discussion of medication errors in nursing. Journal of Malaysian Nurses Association. 2010, 3, 14-21.
- Hayes DA and Rohani Arshad. Effective Communication in Nursing. In press. Oxford Fajar.
Faculty of Allied Health Sciences
- Lopez J. Book review of â€œEffects of Herbs and Natural Products on Clinical Laboratory Testsâ€ by Sheshadri Narayanan and Donald Young, published by AACC Press 2007. APFCB News 2007
- Lopez J. Book review of â€œTherapeutic Drug Monitoring and Laboratory Medicineâ€ by Mike Hallworth and Ian Watson. Edited by Karen Poyser and Roy Sherwood. Published by ACB Venture Publications 2008. ISBN 978-0-902429-42-0, EAN 9780902429420. Available from the Association of Clinical Biochemists, 1300-132 Tooley St., London SE1 2TU. The review was published in both the Clinical Biochemist Newsletter (AACB) of March 2009 and the Indian J of Clinical Biochemistry2009 / 24 (1) 108.
- Lopez J. Book review of â€œPrimary Care and Laboratory Medicineâ€ by Stuart Smellie, Cliodna McNulty and Mike Galloway. Edited by William Marshall and Beverly Harris. Published by ACB (Association of Clinical Biochemists UK) Venture Publications, 2010. 258 pp. ISBN978-0-902429- 46-8, EAN 9780902429468. Available from the Association of Clinical Biochemists, 1300-132 Tooley St., London SE1 2TU.
- Lopez J. Book review of â€œCalculations In Laboratory Medicineâ€ by Allan Deacon, Edited by Roy Sherwood and James Hooper. Published by ACB Venture Publications 2009. 338 pp. ISBN 978-0-902429â€“ 43â€“7. Available from The Association of Clinical Biochemists, 1300-132 Tooley St., London SE1 2TU. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, 2010; 25: 108.
- Kiyoshi Ichihara, Kazuo Mori, Masakazu Watanabe, Xuejing Wang, Jeong-Ho Kim, Priscilla MK Poon, Shu-Chu Shiesh, Tran Huu Tam, Mee Ling Thong, Dewi Muliaty, Shigeo Sueyoshi, Yasushi Higashiuesato, Joseph B Lopez, Ferruccio Ceriotti, Mauro Panteghini on behalf of the Committee on Reference Interval Decision Limit, International Federation for Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, the Science Committee for the Asia-Pacific Federation of Clinical Biochemistry. The Asian project for collaborative derivation of reference intervals: (1) strategy and major results. (under preparation)
- Shu-Chu Shiesh, Hsiao-Mei Wiedmeyer, Jau-Tsuen Kao, Samuel D. Vasikaran, Joseph B. Lopez, and the Laboratory Management Committee for the Asian-Pacific Federation of Clinical Biochemistry Proficiency Testing of HbA1c: A 4-Year Experience in Taiwan and the Asian Pacific Region. Clinical Chemistry 2009; 55: 1876â€“80.
- Vasikaran SD, Lai LC, Sethi S, Lopez JB and Sikaris KA. Quality of interpretative commenting on common clinical chemistry results in the Asia-Pacific region and Africa. Clin Chem Lab Med 2009; 47: 963-70.
Faculty of Medicine
- Chan K.P., C.S. Tan, W.S. Teng, Faidz Abdul Rahman, Soon SC and Zahid Ridzuan Zulkifly. Feasibility Study of Long Period Grating as an Optical Biosensor for Dengue Virus Detection – An Alternative Approach to Dengue Virus Screening. Presented at The 2010 IEEE EMBS Conference on Biomedical Engineering & Sciences (IECBES 2010), 30 Nov – 2 Dec 2010, Kuala Lumpur.
- Kantilal HK. entitled â€œEthnic differences of type 2 diabetes mellitus among Malay, Chinese and Indian patients attending Outpatient Department in Hospital Kuala Lumpurâ€ Poster presentation at 2nd National Diabetes Conference 8th – 10th July 2011 at Sepang, Malaysia.
- Kantilal HK “Calcium intake sources compared to race, age and socioeconomic status among Malaysian women” Oral presentation in 36th Annual Conference of The Malaysian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 27th – 28th July 2011, Petaling Jaya.
- Jaiprakash M, Shetty HV, Kutty AVM. Oxidative stress and lipid profile in diabetic end stage renal disease. MSPP conference which was held on 25th and 26th of May 2011 at UPM.
- Soon SC, Shilpa Murthy and Sarmishtha Ghosh. Association of Personality and Learning styles in first year medical students. Presented at 6th Congress of the Asian Medical Education Association on Trends in Medical Education, 23-26 March 2011, Kuala Lumpur.
Faculty of Pharmacy
- Gopal N, Jagadeeswaran M, Jayakar B, Ahmad bin Mahmud, Sivakumar T.Â Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Atorvastatin and Aspirin in Capsule Dosage Form. Presented at â€œThe 1st UKM-MU Joint Scientific Conference 2010: Advancing Pharmacy Across Boundariesâ€, 12-13th October 2010, UKM Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia (Abstract No.CH-04).
- Gopal N, Ahmad Bin Mahmud, B Jayakar, Indulatha VN. Synthesis, Analgesic activity & Anti-inflammatory activity of N-(2-substituted-4-thiazolidin-3-yl)-3-carboxamido-2H-chromen-2-one derivatives. Presented at â€œPharmaTech 2010: The International Conference & Exhibition on Pharmaceutical, Nutraceutical and Cosmeceutical Technology: Formulation and Applicationâ€, 25-27th May 2010, KLCC, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Poster No.: P-59). Adjudge as First Place as BEST POSTER AWARD.
- Ilavarasu A, Gopal N, and Rajagopal B. Synthesis and Pharmacological Evaluation of N – Substituted – 3, 4 – Di-substituted pyrazole derivatives. Presented at â€œ61st Indian Pharmaceutical Congressâ€, 11th â€“ 13th December 2009. Nirma University of Science and Technology, Ahmedabad, India. (Poster No.: B-248).
- Padmanabha BV, Kutty K, Rao S. A study on effect of glycemic control on cardiac autonomic function in type ii diabetes in rural population. Presented at 25th Scientific Meeting of The Malaysian Society Of Pharmacology And Physiology (25th – 26th May 2011). At Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Universiti Putra Malaysia.
Faculty of Allied Heath Sciences
- Lopez JB. Improving Your Presentations and Posters. Invited speaker at EUROEMDLAB, Amsterdam, 6 June 2007. Presentation was part of a Symposium sponsored by the Communications and Publications Division (CPD) of the IFCC.
- Lopez JB. Partnerships For Progress: The APFCB, IFCC And National Associations in the Asia-Pacific Region. Invited Speaker at Annual Scientific Meeting Taiwan Society of Pathologists, 27 June 2007, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Lopez JB. Partnerships For Progress: The APFCB, IFCC And National Associations in the Asia-Pacific Region. Invited Speaker at ACBICON (annual conference of the Assoc of Clinical Biochemists of India) December 2007, New Delhi, India.
- Lopez JB. Harmonization Of Immunoassays â€“ An Unresolved Issue. Invited speaker at annual scientific meeting of the South African Association of Clinical Biochemistry, June 2008, Capetown, RSA.
- Lopez, JB.”Perspectives on Common Reference Intervals – an Asian-Pacific quest:” Keynote speaker: at International Symposium on Joint Determination of Reference Intervals and Data Analysis for Evidence-Based Laboratory Medicine international symposium on 25 September 2009, in Osaka, Japan.
- Lopez, JB. “Advancing Clinical Chemistry in the Asia-Pacific Region”. Invited speaker at Annual scientific meeting of the Philippines Association of Medical Technologists (PAMET), Manila, 26 Nov 2009, Manila, Philippines.
- Lopez JB. “Pride and Professionalism: the way forward for the clinical laboratory scientist”. Invited speaker at MACB 20th Annual Scientific Meeting 5-6 July 2010, Kuala Lumpur.